Your "call"



“Trust in the Lord with all your hear and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6

There have been many times over the past few years when I wanted to know exactly what God is calling me to do. My husband and I have talked a lot about this in the past few months. In some ways I believe that if I am living out my “call” I am fully living. Jesus said that He came to give us life abundantly. I think that living and serving the way the He created us to live and serve is abundant life. This does NOT mean it is easy… but it does mean it is full life.

A call that each and every one us  have who believe in Jesus is to “love the lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. And love your neighbor as yourself.” Mark 12:30.  Each of us is “called” to love God with everything in us and to treat others well. If we all did this…. This world would be SO different.  A lot of those daily decisions would be so much easier. For example, should I clean my house because I know my husband loves it when I help around the house or should I just watch TV. This was a real life choice THIS week. We are called to love others, as we want to be loved. This time I choose to love him more than the TV shows. It was a good choice!

What is a “call”? I heard once that your call is where the world’s greatest need and your deepest desires are met. We are each created uniquely. We each have gifts and talents that are so different.  God made us that way! He so desires to use the things that He created in us to be used for HIM! Your call is to look for ways to use the things you love for His glory.

How do we know our “call”? How do we know what God wants us to do in day-to-day life or in the big decisions? Although, I am still figuring this out I wanted to share a few things I have learned from some wise people along the way.

I was really struggling with a big decision a few years ago and someone told me that if you are seeking the Lord, you are not going to mess it up. This is such a relief. When we TRUST the Lord- he will make our paths straight. Someone told me just the other day that he is not trying to hide His will from us. He is not playing tricks on us… he wants us to know his will more than we want to know His will. So my first bit of advice is to SEEK Jesus! He is the one who created us and He knows what is best for us!

Here are a few questions to ask in discerning your call. I am sure there are many more that I still need to learn… but here are a few I have learned so far:
·      Does it line up with scripture?
·      What do your closest friends and family say?
·      Have you earnestly sought God about this?

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13 Ultimately, it comes down to this question: Do you really want to know Gods will? Or do you still want to live your own life? I struggle with this question daily. I want to follow God, but I also want a pretty little life. Are we willing to give God our whole life, or just parts?

My daily prayer is where I am not willing, to make me willing. Lead me oh God!

Comments